More Information on Eyelid Surgery

eyelid surgery.jpg

Many people in OKC considering eyelid surgery think about the recovery process and how long it takes for things to return to normal. We will discuss in this article how long it takes for eyelid operations to recover, what the recovery process can be and what to avoid during recovery.

The Time for a Full Recovery

After 5-7 days, the stitches are removed. About 80% of patients will not notice marks of the incision, swelling or bruising in approximately 7- 10 days. More time is required for the remaining 20% of patients.

Patients can generally return to work within three days, but if the patient wants to be discreet, then the rule of 7- 10 days remains if the patient follows the rehabilitation protocol. All other marks after this time can be easily concealed with make- up. Eyelid surgery may have one of the most comfortable recoveries in facial plastic surgery, but rehabilitation varies between patients.

According to our experts in OKC, after eyelid surgery there are several things which will affect how long it takes for everything to feel normal again:

  • The individual health of the patient determines the rate of normal healing of the individual.

  • During surgery, the level of bleeding affects how bruises will appear. All surgeons try to minimize bleeding, but when a small blood vessel bleeds, and was difficult to stop, it will take a longer healing process.

  • Smokers are at higher risk of complications and significantly longer healing time. They should avoid smoking for 14 days or more before the operation.

  • You should also avoid alcohol which can cause fluid retention, and wear sunglasses to protect from sun and wind irritation.

  • In the recovery period, you should avoid activities that increase blood flow to the eyes, such as lifting heavy things, bending, crying and exercise.

  • Avoid activities that dry the eyes as much as possible during the recovery process like reading, working with a computer, watching TV, etc.

  • Also, different medicines and supplements should be avoided at least 14 days before the operation. The list includes aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and fish oil.

  • Abide by your surgeon's rehabilitation protocol. For instance, you should sleep using extra pillows at night for a period of 1- 3 days after surgery and apply ice.

In OKC, look for a quality eyelid surgery professional.

Here are some qualities the surgeon must have:

  • Fully efficient and certified in Plastic Surgery with Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery.

  • Well-trained in the entire process.

  • Registered as a Plastic Surgeon Specialist.

Come to us at Korber Eyecare and Surgery Center and discuss your requirements with our specialists. It is guaranteed from us that you will receive the best advice and service on your eyelid surgery in OKC.

** Disclaimer: The above post should not substitute medical advice nor does it create a patient-doctor relationship.